Due to the COVID-19 emergency, all volunteer shifts are canceled until further notice, and all volunteer training is postponed indefinitely. If you have any questions about our volunteering, please contact Maria, Volunteer Coordinator, by email or leave her a voicemail at 262.522.3845.
Becoming a Volunteer
While we are currently not accepting new volunteer applications, we invite you to submit our Volunteer Interest Form to receive information about virtual volunteer trainings and updates about resuming volunteer activities onsite.
Please note a few parameters for our volunteer program:
- The Women’s Center does not allow court mandated community service.
- Reference and background checks are completed for all volunteers.
- All volunteers must be over the age of 18.
- To encourage the wellbeing of our volunteers, current or recent clients and those who have personally experienced domestic or sexual violence within five years of their application will be redirected to other ways to support the work of The Women’s Center.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
Until we are able to be together again in person, support our work remotely with these helpful activities:
- Notes of encouragement to staff – send your encouraging and supportive messages to our hardworking team, Attn: Staff Encouragement, at:
The Women’s Center
505 N. East Avenue
Waukesha, WI 53186
- Collect needed items from our wish list – organize a drive to collect wish list items at your home or office then deliver them to our building, or coordinate a virtual drive using our Amazon Smile Wishlist.
- Promote our 24-Hour Hotline – use our toolkit to build awareness of our 24-Hour Hotline with your networks, and ask your employer to include information in your company’s employee newsletter or intranet site.
- Daily Encouragement Box – help support the clients at The Women’s Center by creating a Daily Encouragement Box. We hope to receive ten boxes so each of our Advocates can have a box in their office filled with supportive notes their clients can take with them after appointments! Ideally, each box would have about 50 notes, and template phrases will be supplied. Your group can get creative with the decoration and style of the box! Have fun with making the box as inviting as possible. We are also looking for the boxes in Spanish for our Spanish speaking clientele.
- Family Activity Kit – The days get long for many of our younger clients, and we want to offer families some new entertainment at home. You are invited to collaborate with your coworkers, family and/or friends to collect coloring books and puzzles, and/or crafts with instructions and the needed supplies, then put them together in a fun, kid-friendly bag for families to take home after appointments.
If you have questions or would like to coordinate directly with us about virtual volunteering, contact Maria, Volunteer Coordinator, by email or leave her a voicemail at 262.522.3845.
Once on-site volunteer opportunities resume, following is a description of our in-person volunteer program for your reference when considering your interest in volunteering with us.
We have many ongoing volunteer opportunities available at The Women’s Center, and volunteers can immediately start in these roles following their application, interview, and background check:
- Building and grounds maintenance: Assist with upkeep and repair of our facilities.
- Gardening: Help maintain our gardens and flower beds.
- Donation sorting: Organizing and storing nonperishable food and in-kind donations.
- Administration: Assist with clerical duties, like data entry and research. Includes the opportunity to help plan annual special events.
The following positions require completion of Advocate Training, described below, as well as a minimum time commitment of six months:
- Hotline/Shelter Support: Answer the 24-Hour Hotline and provide support and information to callers; attend to the needs of clients residing in shelter and assist shelter staff with various duties.
- On-Call Advocates: Provide after-hours advocacy and emergency transportation for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.
- Gentle Men: Serve as a positive, gentle male role model to children who have experienced violence in their homes.
- Childcare: Provide on-site childcare for clients using The Women’s Center’s services.
- Front Desk: Manage activities at the front desk, including answering phones and assisting clients and visitors; day time availability required.
We invite all volunteers and community members to join us for Advocate Training, a five-part series providing education on the realities of domestic and sexual violence. Completion of this training allows participants to become a volunteer working directly with survivors and their children. There is no cost to attend and light refreshments are provided. Due to COVID-19 and the Safer at Home order, the dates of the remaining trainings in 2020 are TBD. To inquire about attending or learn more, contact our Volunteer Coordinator via email or fill out our Advocate Training Request Form.
Due to the COVID-19 emergency, we will not be hosting winter interns for 2021. Interested students are encouraged to apply for the 2021 summer internship.
Undergraduate internships are offered year-round. They are designed for students who are interested in learning about the full scope of our agency and include duties such as donation sorting, client childcare, front desk support, and clerical/administrative tasks.
Interns must go through Advocate Training (5 sessions, 20 hours) at the start of the internship to establish a general understanding of our programs and the issues of interpersonal violence.
To be considered for an internship, please fill out the Internship Application, then email your application, resume and program information by the following dates to be considered for the corresponding internship:
- Winter/Spring: Due October 1 (Internship starts with January Advocate Training*)
- Summer: Due March 1 (Internship starts with spring Advocate Training, specific dates TBD)
- Fall: Due June 1 (Internship starts with fall Advocate Training, specific dates TBD)
Please note: We do not offer master level internships.