Due to the COVID-19 emergency, all volunteer shifts are canceled until further notice, and Advocate Training is postponed with new dates to be determined. If you have any questions, please contact Maria by email or leave her a voicemail at 262.522.3845.
Becoming a Volunteer
We welcome new volunteers all year long! To get started, fill out our online Volunteer Application Form or download the form and email it to the Volunteer Coordinator. Once your application has been received and reviewed, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to set up an in-person interview to learn more about you, discuss agency policies, and gather paperwork for a background check.
Please note a few parameters for our volunteer program:
- The Women’s Center does not allow court mandated community service.
- Reference and background checks are completed for all volunteers.
- All volunteers must be over the age of 18.
- To encourage the wellbeing of our volunteers, current and recent clients and those who have personally experienced domestic or sexual violence within five years of their application will be redirected to other ways to support the work of The Women’s Center.
We have many ongoing volunteer opportunities available at The Women’s Center, and you can immediately start in these roles:
- Building and grounds maintenance: Assist with upkeep and repair of our facilities.
- Gardening: Help maintain our gardens and flower beds.
- Donation sorting: Organizing and storing nonperishable food and in-kind donations.
- Administration: Assist with clerical duties, like data entry and research. Includes the opportunity to help plan annual special events.
The following positions require completion of Advocate Training, described below, as well as a minimum time commitment of six months:
- Hotline/Shelter Support: Answer the 24-Hour Hotline and provide support and information to callers; attend to the needs of clients residing in shelter and assist shelter staff with various duties.
- On-Call Advocates: Provide after-hours advocacy and emergency transportation for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.
- Gentle Men: Serve as a positive, gentle male role model to children who have experienced violence in their homes.
- Childcare: Provide on-site childcare for clients using The Women’s Center’s services.
- Front Desk: Manage activities at the front desk, including answering phones and assisting clients and visitors; day time availability required.
If you have any questions about volunteering, or for more information about volunteer roles or training, contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 262.522.3845 or by email. If desired, volunteer applications may be submitted via mail to:
The Women’s Center
Attn: Volunteer Coordinator
505 N. East Ave.
Waukesha, WI 53186
We invite all volunteers and community members to join us for Advocate Training, a five-part series providing education on the realities of domestic and sexual violence. Completion of this training allows participants to become a volunteer working directly with survivors and their children. There is no cost to attend and light refreshments are provided. Due to COVID-19 and the Safer at Home order, the dates of the remaining trainings in 2020 are TBD. To inquire about attending or learn more, contact our Volunteer Coordinator via email or fill out our Advocate Training Request Form.
Due to the COVID-19 emergency, we will not be hosting summer interns. Interested students are encouraged to apply for the fall internship.
Summary: Undergraduate internships are offered year-round. They are designed for students who are interested in learning about the full scope of our agency and include duties such as donation sorting, client childcare, front desk support, and clerical/administrative tasks.
*Interns must go through Advocate Training (5 sessions, 20 hours) for general knowledge base, at the start of the internship.
Please email your application, resume and program information by the following dates to be considered for an internship:
- Winter/Spring: Due October 1 (Applicants will be notified by October 15; internship starts with January Advocate Training*)
- Summer: Due March 1 (Applicants will be notified by the end of April; Advocate Training dates to come)
- Fall: Due June 1 (Applicants will be notified by June 15; internship starts with September Advocate Training*)
Please note: We do not offer master level internships.