Violence Prevention Advocate, Ms. Susannah, reads this story about personal space. Because kids are often expected to give hugs and kisses to adults they don’t know very well, it is especially important to teach kids that their bodies are their own, and that they do not have to give hugs or kisses to anyone they don’t want to. This story uses age-appropriate language and examples to help your child understand appropriate versus inappropriate touch. Use the following discussion questions during or after the video to reinforce healthy ways for children to respond to and report unwanted touching.
- How many bodies do you have?
- Does anyone else have the same body as you?
- Who does your body belong to?
- What would you say if you did not want to touch someone?
- What would you say if you did not want someone to touch you?
*This book contains material that may trigger difficult thoughts and feelings. If you or your child would like support in processing unexpected reactions to this video, please call The Women’s Center’s 24-Hour Hotline at 262.542.3828.