On-Site Volunteer Opportunities
To begin volunteering, please fill out the online Volunteer Application form or email the completed PDF version. Once received, the Volunteer Coordinator will reach out to set up an interview to discuss our tiered volunteer program and next steps.
The first level of our tiered volunteer program allows you to get more comfortable with our site. Volunteer Training is not required for this tier, but you are still required to go through the interview and background checks before being able to begin volunteering. Listed below are the first-tier volunteer positions.
- Building and grounds maintenance: Assist with upkeep and repair of our facilities.
- Gardening: Help maintain our gardens and flower beds.
The second level allows us to give our volunteers more insight into the day to day activities of The Women’s Center. Volunteers are required to complete Volunteer Training and have a minimum time commitment of six months. If you decide this is what you really enjoy, you are welcome to stay in these volunteer roles. If you decide you would like to become engaged in more direct service opportunities you will work with the Volunteer Coordinator to transition to the third level of volunteering.
- Donation sorting: Organizing and storing nonperishable food and in-kind donations.
- Administration: Assist with clerical duties, like data entry and research. Includes the opportunity to help plan annual special events.
The third tier consists of our client facing volunteer opportunities. Volunteers in these positions receive additional training that is specific to the desired role.
- Hotline/Shelter Support: Answer the 24-Hour Hotline and provide support and information to callers; attend to the needs of clients residing in shelter and assist shelter staff with various duties.
- Front Desk: Manage activities at the front desk, including answering phones and assisting clients and visitors; daytime availability required.
Volunteers interested in the On-Call Advocate position or Childcare will need to complete the volunteer application process, Volunteer Training, and then receive the additional training for this position. They do not have to engage in the additional step of administrative support or donation sorting roles.
- On-Call Advocate: Provide after-hours advocacy and emergency transportation for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.
- Childcare: Serve as a positive role model to children who have experienced violence in their home. This role assists in providing childcare for clients who are using services of The Women’s Center.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
You can also support our work remotely with these helpful virtual activities:
- Family Activity Kit: The days get long for many of our younger clients, and we want to offer families some new entertainment at home. You are invited to collaborate with your coworkers, family and/or friends to collect coloring books and puzzles, and/or crafts with instructions and the needed supplies, then put them together in a fun, kid-friendly bag for families to take home after appointments.
- Collect Wish List Items: Organize a drive to collect wish list items at your home or office then deliver them to our building, or coordinate a virtual drive using our Amazon Smile Wishlist.
- Promote our 24-Hour Hotline: Use our toolkit to build awareness of our 24-Hour Hotline with your networks, and ask your employer to include information in your company’s employee newsletter or intranet site.
- Notes of Encouragement to Staff: Send your encouraging and supportive messages to our hardworking team, Attn: Staff Encouragement, at:
The Women’s Center
505 N. East Avenue
Waukesha, WI 53186
- Daily Encouragement Box: Help support the clients at The Women’s Center by creating a Daily Encouragement Box. We hope to receive ten boxes so each of our Advocates can have a box in their office filled with supportive notes their clients can take with them after appointments! Ideally, each box would have about 50 notes, and template phrases will be supplied. Your group can get creative with the decoration and style of the box! Have fun with making the box as inviting as possible. We are also looking for the boxes in Spanish for our Spanish speaking clientele.
Volunteer Training and Community Webinars
We invite all volunteers to join us for Advocate Training, a four-part series providing education on the realities of domestic and sexual violence. Completion of this training allows participants to become a volunteer working directly with survivors and their children. There is no cost to attend. To inquire about attending or learn more, contact our Volunteer Coordinator via email or fill out our Volunteer Application.
If you are interested in learning more about the work we do at The Women’s Center, please attend our Community Webinars. Held during the lunch hour, 12-1 pm. To inquire about attending or learn more, contact our Volunteer Coordinator via email.