To: Wednesday, August 26th, 2020
Celebrate Women’s Equality Day on August 26 with our NEW virtual 5K in honor of the 100-year anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote.
Select the activity of your choice – run, walk, bike, rollerblade, anything! – and complete your own route between August 22 – 26 to participate in this virtual 5K.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic has limited our opportunity to come together to raise funds and awareness through in-person events this year, this virtual 5K lets us come together – figuratively– in support of survivors of domestic and sexual violence in our community.
Your registration directly benefits the life-saving and life-changing services of The Women’s Center, which continue, modified but uninterrupted, to serve our clients through advocacy, virtual resources, emergency shelter, and our 24-Hour Hotline.
History of Women’s Equality Day
Women’s Equality Day commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment in 1920, which granted women the right to vote. Wisconsin was the first state to ratify the amendment in 1919 on its journey to becoming law. Waukesha’s own Theodora Youmans was president of the Wisconsin Women Suffrage Association at the time and played a significant role in securing support for the new amendment. She designed a yellow tunic for Wisconsin women to wear while demonstrating at the Republican National Convention in Chicago, used to create excitement and boost morale. Learn more here.
The five Founding Mothers of The Women’s Center were active members of the National Organization of Women (NOW) and ardent feminists, and since 1977, The Women’s Center has observed Women’s Equality Day by giving staff a paid day off. We are proud to share this element of our history with you in this centennial anniversary year of this historic day!
How does a virtual 5K work?
You have until August 26th to complete the 5K distance, and:
- You can do it all at once or over a few days.
- You can select whatever activity you like and even split it between activities if you want!
- When you’re done, confirm your mailing address on our completion form to receive your exclusive sticker and certificate of completion.
- No, you don’t have to submit your time – go at your own pace and have fun!
- A limited-edition t-shirt featuring the original logo of The Women’s Center
- Commemorative runner’s bib
- List of significant locations in the Waukesha and Milwaukee area that hold importance to the Women’s Rights Movement to visit on your personalized 5K walk, run, or roll
- An exclusive completion sticker and official completion certificate in the mail
Registration will be available through Monday, August 17 with shirt sizes on a first come, first served basis on designated t-shirt pick up day.
Packet Pickup Dates: The week of August 17th. Out of state? No problem! We can mail you a packet and t-shirt.
The online completion form will be available from Saturday, August 22 through Wednesday, August 26, Women’s Equality Day, and must be submitted by 11:59pm on August 26 to receive the completion sticker and certificate.